November 28, 2025 - National Guard shooting | CNN

November 28, 2025 - National Guard shooting

115481_TrumpThirdWorldMigration v1.jpg
Trump says US will 'permanently pause migration from all Third World countries'
00:35 • Source: CNN
00:35

What we covered here

• One National Guard member has died and another is fighting for his life after a targeted shooting in Washington, DC that has added fuel to President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown.

• The suspect, who is wounded, has been identified as Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal. In the wake of the shooting, Trump said he will “permanently pause migration from all third world countries.”

• Trump said the administration is looking into whether to deport the suspect’s family, and US agencies have announced reviews of asylum cases and some green card recipients.

52 Posts

A National Guard member has died in the DC shooting. Here's what to know about the ongoing aftermath

Sarah Beckstrom, a 20-year-old National Guard member deployed to Washington, DC, has died a day after a gunman shot her. Another National Guard member is critically wounded.

The suspect, who is wounded, has been identified as Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal. In the wake of the shooting, President Donald Trump has called for an even more intense immigration crackdown.

Hours after announcing Beckstrom’s death, Trump said he would “permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries.” It is not clear which countries he is referring to.

Catch up on the recent developments:

Taliban official calls for investigation into DC shooting

Taliban ambassador to Qatar Suhail Shaheen attends a press conference in Moscow on July 9, 2021.

The Taliban ambassador to Qatar has called for a “vast investigation” into the person accused of shooting two National Guard members in Washington, DC.

“According to reports, this person was part of the security forces, then operating under CIA,” Suhail Shaheen said in a statement to CNN on Friday.

“Such people were not faithful to their country (Afghanistan)… There should be a vast investigation into this incident to find out true face of him and other like-minded people,” he said.

Some background: The Taliban took power in Afghanistan in 2021 after the US withdrew its forces from the country. The US, along with most countries, does not recognise the Taliban as the official government of Afghanistan.

The suspect has been identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan national who officials say came to the US in 2021 under a program implemented by the Biden administration following the US military withdrawal.

Lakanwal had previously worked in Afghanistan with the CIA, according to the agency’s director, John Ratcliffe. He was granted asylum in April by the Trump administration, multiple law enforcement officials told CNN.

Trump says US will "permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries"

US President Donald Trump participates in a call with service members of US. Army from Palm Beach, Florida, on November 27, 2025.

President Donald Trump said Thursday his administration will work to “permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries.”

It’s unclear which countries Trump was referring to. “Third world countries,” used by some to define developing nations, has repeatedly been used by Trump as part of his anti-immigration rhetoric.

CNN has reached out the State Department and the White House for clarity.

The comments come after an Afghan national was identified as the suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC, in an attack that has added fuel to Trump’s immigration crackdown.

In a series of posts on Truth Social, Trump criticized multiple aspects of US immigration policy and those supporting refugees living in the US.

Trump also said he would end all federal benefits and subsidies to “noncitizens” and “denaturalize migrants who undermine domestic tranquility, and deport any Foreign National who is a public charge, security risk, or non-compatible with Western Civilization.”

“These goals will be pursued with the aim of achieving a major reduction in illegal and disruptive populations.”

Local and federal law enforcement line alongside procession for dignified transfer of Beckstrom

Military police vehicles line up on the day the body of slain West Virginia National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom is transferred from Medstar Washington Hospital Center, a day after she was shot on Thursday.

Several local and federal law enforcement agencies lined streets in Washington, DC, tonight as a procession passed for Sarah Beckstrom, the National Guard member who died earlier today after being shot alongside another guardsman near the White House.

National Guard members, Metropolitan Police, DC Fire, Secret Service and DEA agents watched and saluted during the dignified transfer to the medical examiner in DC. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also attended the transfer, according to a source familiar with the matter.

A dignified transfer is a procedure honoring the remains of a fallen service member.

"We grieve alongside them": West Virginia National Guard extends condolences after Beckstrom's death

The West Virginia National Guard confirmed the death of its member Sarah Beckstrom after she was fatally shot in Washington DC yesterday.

Beckstrom enlisted in the West Virginia National Guard on June 26, 2023, and served as a military police officer with the 863rd Military Police Company, said the West Virginia National Guard this evening in a statement on Facebook.

The 20-year-old volunteered to serve as part of Operation DC Safe and Beautiful in the capital.

“Her loss is felt profoundly across our One Guard Family and throughout the Mountain State,” it added.

“I extend my deepest condolences to Spc. Beckstrom’s family, friends, and fellow Guardsmen. We grieve alongside them and honor her memory by carrying forward her commitment to service, integrity, and excellence,” said Maj. Gen. Jim Seward, the Adjutant General of the West Virginia National Guard.

Sarah Beckstrom's former boyfriend describes her as a "loving, caring person"

US Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom’s former boyfriend, Adam Carr, spoke to CNN’s Gabe Cohen.

The former boyfriend of Sarah Beckstrom — the National Guard member who died earlier today after being shot alongside another guardsman in Washington, DC, yesterday — told CNN she was a loving, caring person.

He shared with CNN that she would make him lunch before he left for work in the morning and would excitedly wait for him to give him a hug when he returned home.

Carr said their six-year relationship “ended on good terms” a month ago after the couple grew apart while she was deployed to Washington, DC.

He said that while Beckstrom was initially “dreading” being deployed to the nation’s capital, she grew to enjoy it and even volunteered to stay longer.

“She was actually enjoying it and really liked it down there, seeing the monuments, going to the museums on her own time,” Carr added.

Carr also told CNN that Beckstrom was interested in joining the FBI and believed that being part of the National Guard “would be a good foot in the doorway to help her get there.”

A photo of US Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, released by her former boyfriend.

Community in West Virginia holds vigil for National Guard members

A vigil was held tonight in Webster Springs, West Virginia, for the two National Guard members who were shot in Washington, DC, yesterday.

Sarah Beckstrom, the guard members who died earlier today, went to high school near Webster Springs.

One woman, who said she was in a nursing class with Beckstrom, described her as “so sweet.”

Another woman said the group will gather again tomorrow and Saturday.

CNN’s Dalia Abdelwahab contributed to this post.

Trump has spoken to Beckstrom's family, says he is open to attending her funeral

US President Donald Trump listens to a reporter's question while participating in a video call with military service members from his Mar-a-Lago residence on Thursday.

President Donald Trump has spoken to the parents of Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom, who was killed in yesterday’s shooting at Washington, DC, the White House said this evening.

He also indicated he would consider attending her funeral, calling her “outstanding in every single way.”

“Well, the family is devastated, as you can imagine,” Trump said earlier when asked about his outreach during a Thanksgiving call to service members this evening.

The president praised Beckstrom, saying, “She was so outstanding. I mean, I just heard outstanding in every single way.”

When asked on whether he plans to attend her funeral, Trump said he had not made a decision.

“I haven’t thought about it yet, but it certainly is something I could conceive of. I love West Virginia,” he added.

A dignified transfer of Beckstrom will happen at 9 p.m., according to a source familiar with the matter.

DC units will be assisting in the transport from the MedStar Washington Hospital Center to the medical examiner in Washington, DC. A dignified transfer is a procedure honoring the remains of a fallen service member.

Trump says administration looking into whether to deport shooting suspect's family

A picture of Rahmanullah Lakanwal, the suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members.

President Donald Trump said today that the administration is looking into whether to deport the family of Rahmanullah Lakanwal, the suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC.

Lakanwal resided in Bellingham, Washington, with his wife and children, US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said earlier today. He is an Afghan national who officials say came to the US in 2021 under a program implemented by the Biden administration following the US military withdrawal from Afghanistan.

The 29-year-old had previously worked in Afghanistan with the CIA, according to the agency’s director, John Ratcliffe. He was granted asylum in April by the Trump administration, multiple law enforcement officials told CNN.

When asked if Lakanwal was granted asylum under his administration, Trump said, “When you — it comes to asylum, when they’re flown in, it’s very hard to get them out.”

Trump administration officials react to death of Sarah Beckstrom

Several Trump administration officials are calling for prayers after President Donald Trump announced the death of Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom — one of the National Guard members shot in Washington, DC, yesterday.

Attorney General Pam Bondi said in a post on X, “Devastated. Please pray for Sarah’s family. America will never forget her courage. There WILL BE JUSTICE for Sarah.”

She also called for continued prayers for Andrew Wolfe, the other victim who was critically injured in the shooting.

FBI Director Kash Patel said, “Sarah Beckstrom was a young soldier and patriot with her entire life ahead of her.”

He added in a post on X: “Please join me in praying for Sarah’s family, friends, and fellow soldiers left behind.”

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth called Beckstrom “An American hero,” adding, “May our nation kneel in prayer for her family.”

US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said in a post on X, “It is now time to avenge her death and secure justice.”

High school shares photo of Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom

US Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom has died after being shot on Wednesday.

A newly released photo of Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom, a National Guard member who died after being shot yesterday, offers a glimpse into the life of the 20-year-old service member from Summersville, West Virginia.

Beckstrom’s high school released a statement along with a photo of her.

“Sarah, a member of the Class of 2023, has always demonstrated the strength, character, and commitment that make our school and community proud,” Webster County High School said in the statement. “Her decision to serve her country reflects the very best of what we hope to instill in our Highlander students.”

Beckstrom began her military service on June 26, 2023, and was assigned to the 863rd Military Police Company, part of the 111th Engineer Brigade within the West Virginia Army National Guard.

Beckstrom passed away Thursday night after battling critical injuries following surgery.

US Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom

Trump says Sarah Beckstrom, one of the National Guard members who was shot, has died

A picture of National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom is displayed at a press conference in Washington, DC, on Thursday.

President Donald Trump said that US Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom, one of the National Guard members shot in Washington, DC yesterday, has died.

“She’s no longer with us. She’s looking down at us right now,” the president continued.

“This just happened, Trump continued. “She was savagely attacked, she’s dead now.”

“As you know, the other young man is fighting for his life. He’s in very bad shape. He’s fighting for his life. And hopefully we’ll get better news with respect to him,” the president said, referring to Andrew Wolfe, the other victim in yesterday’s shooting.

still_22155253_25518.441_still.jpg
Trump announces one of National Guard members shot in DC has died
00:46 • Source: CNN
00:46

West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey reacted on X, writing, “This is not the result we hoped for, but it is the result we all feared.”

Trump shows a picture of chaotic evacuation of Afghans in 2021 while talking about suspected shooter

President Donald Trump shows a photo of the 2021 evacuation of Afghans during a call with service members from his Mar-a-Lago residence on Thursday.

President Donald Trump took a moment during his Thanksgiving Zoom call with service members to show them a photograph of a what he says was the plane carrying Afghanistan civilians, a defining image after the US military withdrawal from the country in 2021, known as “Operation Allies Welcome.”

“DHS has confirmed that the suspect is an Afghan national flown here by the previous administration who was such a bad administration, and I have a picture of a plane,” Trump said while showing the picture.

“This is what it looked like when they came in,” the president added. “People crammed onto the plane, and the toughest, meanest, most capable physically got on the plane, not the people that we were looking for or that they wanted to bring in.”

“Here’s a picture for you,” Trump said.

The suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC, has been identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, an Afghan national who officials say came to the US in 2021 under a program implemented by the Biden administration following the US military withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Trump administration will reexamine green cards issued to people from 19 countries "of concern"

The director of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services said today that at President Donald Trump’s direction, he has ordered all green cards issued to people from countries “of concern” be reexamined.

When asked for additional details, including which countries are considered to be “of concern,” USCIS pointed CNN to the 19 countries listed in a June presidential proclamation.

The 19 countries include Afghanistan, Burma, Chad, Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, Burundi, Cuba, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Turkmenistan and Venezuela.

Key context: Trump moved within hours last night to point to the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC, as justification for an even more intense immigration crackdown.

The Department of Homeland Security told CNN today that it is reviewing all asylum cases approved by the Biden administration.

The suspect in last night’s shooting came to the country in 2021 under Operation Allies Welcome after assisting the US in Afghanistan, though he was granted asylum just last April. A US official told CNN the suspect was “clean on all checks” before working with the government and again before coming to the US.

Read more here.

West Virginia governor says he visited injured National Guard members

West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey speaks at an event in Abingdon, Virginia, on November 1.

West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey and West Virginia Adjutant Gen. Jim Seward have visited the National Guard members “who are in critical condition,” the governor said in a statement.

Morrisey also said he spoke with Trump about the incident last night.

Trump administration reviewing all asylum cases approved by Biden administration, DHS says

President Donald Trump on November 16.

The Department of Homeland Security said today that the Trump administration is reviewing all asylum cases that were approved under former President Joe Biden.

The review comes after an Afghan national is suspected of having shot two National Guard members near the White House on Wednesday.

The suspect — who worked with the US government, including the CIA — came to the country in 2021 as part of Biden’s “Operation Allies Welcome.” He applied for asylum in 2024, and the Trump administration granted it in April 2025.

McLaughlin, in the statement, also reiterated a late Wednesday announcement from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services that said, “Effective immediately, processing of all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals is stopped indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols.”

Andrew Wolfe’s father calls for prayers as his son remains in critical condition

Andrew Wolfe

The father of Andrew Wolfe, one of the victims in yesterday’s shooting of two National Guard members, asked for prayers today as the 24-year-old remains in critical condition.

“Please pray for my son,” Jason Wolfe told CNN, adding that his son is “a great person” and “a fighter.”

Jason Wolfe did not provide an update on his son’s condition.

Bellingham mayor says city will support the FBI’s investigation

The mayor of Bellingham, Washington — where the suspected shooter lived — condemned yesterday’s attack on two National Guard members in the nation’s capital and said the city is ready to assist with the FBI’s investigation.

US official says shooting suspect was vetted by intel agencies and “clean on all checks”

Rahmanullah Lakanwal began working with the CIA around 2011, a senior US official told CNN.

At the time, the CIA would have done its own vetting of him through a variety of databases, including the National Counterterrorism Center database, to see if he had any known ties to terrorist groups. The CIA did its own vetting before he started working with them and kept the identities of those they worked with secret, the official said.

NCTC would have vetted him again during Operation Allies Welcome in 2021 for any ties to terrorism before he was allowed into the US. He was clean then as well and did not show any ties to terror organizations, per the senior US official.

“In terms of vetting, nothing came up,” according to a senior US official. “He was clean on all checks.”

The official added that the US government had been doing continuous, annual vetting of individuals since the Afghans’ arrival in the US, especially in the wake of the failed terror plot disrupted before the election last year in Oklahoma which involved an Afghan evacuee.

The vetting of people overseas by US intelligence agencies is different than what domestic agencies are expected to do once individuals arrive and are seeking asylum, a second official noted.