Live updates: Trump administration news on tariffs, DHS shutdown | CNN

Live Updates

Trump doubles down on trade war as administration leaves question of tariff refunds to the courts

bessent sotu update.png
Dana Bash presses Secretary Bessent on Congress' role in enacting tariffs
02:26 • Source: CNN
02:26

Here's the latest

Trade war: Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told CNN lower courts will have to weigh in on potential tariff refunds after the Supreme Court ruled President Donald Trump’s emergency trade duties illegal. Trump has doubled down on his trade war, announcing new 15% global tariffs.

DHS reversal: The TSA said its popular PreCheck program is operating normally today, despite Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem announcing hours earlier that the expedited service would be halted due to the partial government shutdown.

Iran talks: Iran’s foreign minister says Tehran will likely hold further discussions with US officials this week. Trump has said he’s mulling potential military action in Iran if it does not agree to a nuclear deal.

Mar-a-Lago shooting: An armed man was shot and killed by law enforcement overnight after entering the perimeter around the president’s Florida resort, according to the Secret Service. Trump and the first lady were in Washington, DC, at the time.

13 Posts

What we've heard from officials about the man shot by law enforcement at Mar-a-Lago

We reported earlier that an armed man was shot and killed by law enforcement overnight after entering the secure perimeter around President Donald Trump’s Florida home, according to the Secret Service. The president and first lady were at the White House at the time.

Hear from officials in the video below, and read our full coverage here.

260222_maralago gunman.00_00_06_28.Still001.jpg
Armed man shot and killed after unlawfully entering Mar-a-lago

US Secret Service agents and Palm Beach County law enforcement shot and killed an armed man after he unlawfully entered the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago on Sunday, the Secret Service said. The president and first lady were at the White House in Washington, DC, at the time of the incident.

00:58 • Source: CNN
00:58

Iranian foreign minister says more talks with US likely this week

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks in Geneva, Switzerland, on February 17.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said today that he may hold further discussions with US envoy Steve Witkoff as soon as Thursday, with another possible meeting in Geneva.

Araghchi told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that there was a good chance for a diplomatic solution on Iran’s nuclear program. He said he was still working on a proposal, with elements that can accommodate the concerns of both sides.

The foreign minister negotiated his country’s 2015 deal with Western states, Russia and China, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, which US President Donald Trump abandoned in his first term.

But today, Araghchi said it would be possible to reach a new deal without so much detail, and that Iran could provide guarantees that its nuclear program was peaceful and would remain so.

Asked how Iran would respond if the US launched strikes against the country, Araghchi said it had the right to self-defense. As it could not target the US itself, it would have to hit US bases in the region, he said.

When asked if Iran would discuss its ballistic missile arsenal, Araghchi said that the only issue being negotiated with the US was the nuclear file.

He said Iran was ready to cooperate in full with the International Atomic Energy Agency in verifying its nuclear program, but had a right to pursue peaceful enrichment of its nuclear material.

Trump administration says it's launching investigations into several trading partners

The Trump administration is launching investigations into various trading partners and on some imported goods, according to US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer.

Investigations into Brazil and China have already been opened, Greer said today on ABC’s “This Week.”

The US plans to use Section 301 investigations, which are led by the trade representative’s office, to investigate countries that potentially violate other nations’ trade agreements or practices. Greer said the administration will open probes into nations that produce more goods than they consume, which could impact Asian countries.

Greer said the administration will also launch investigations into rice imports and other areas where the US suspects unfair trading practices.

New tariffs: The administration is using two other tariff authorities to impose new duties after Friday’s Supreme Court ruling.

The Commerce Department will launch Section 232 investigations, which have been used to impose steel and aluminum tariffs, among other industry-specific duties. And President Donald Trump said yesterday he will impose a global 15% tariff using Section 122, which would be in effect for up to 150 days before requiring congressional approval.

China visit: Trump is expected to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping next month, which Greer said will not be affected by the Supreme Court’s ruling last week.

“It’s not to fight about trade. It’s to maintain stability, make sure that the Chinese are holding up their end of our deal and buying American agricultural products and Boeings and other things,” Greer said.

TSA says PreCheck remains operational despite Noem announcing pause earlier today

The Transportation Security Administration says its popular PreCheck program remains operational for travelers today, despite Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem saying hours earlier that it would be temporarily halted.

Noem said in a statement earlier today that the Global Entry trusted traveler program, which is run by Customs and Border Protection, would also be paused. It is unclear if that plan remains in place, and CNN has reached out to CBP for comment.

Remember: The DHS is currently without funding due to a partial government shutdown. Congress has been unable to reach a deal as Democrats hold out for changes agency’s immigration enforcement operations.

Both PreCheck and Global Entry are funded by fees charged to members.

CNN’s Martin Goillandeau contributed to this reporting.

TSA program suspensions won't change Democrats' shutdown strategy, senator says

Sen. Andy Kim said today Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem’s move to suspend the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs is an attempt to “change the subject” after she was “humiliated” by immigration enforcement operations in Minnesota.

Noem suspended the trusted-traveler programs amid a partial government shutdown, as Democrats have pushed to withhold funding for DHS while seeking new restrictions on immigration enforcement agencies. The push came after border czar Tom Homan was sent to Minnesota in the wake of the killings of two US citizens by federal officers.

On CNN’s “Inside Politics” this morning, Kim indicated that Democrats don’t intend to shift their approach to the standoff because of Noem’s moves.

“We need to be responsive to what the American people are concerned about. And right now, the Trump administration is hoping that the American people are going to move on from what happened in Minnesota, not worry about that anymore,” Kim said. “And they need to hear loud and clear that that is not happening, that the American people are still furious about the killing of American citizens in our streets.”

Kim added that the partial shutdown is “only going to drag on if the White House continues to hold back on engaging in negotiations.”

DHS funding talks have moved at a glacial pace as Congress left Washington for a planned week-long recess and Democrats have rejected a counterproposal from the White House.

Treasury secretary defers to lower courts on the issue of tariff refunds

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent testifies during a Senate hearing in Washington, DC, on February 5.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent declined to speculate this morning on the possibility of issuing companies tariff refunds, deferring to the decision of lower courts after the Supreme Court on Friday struck down many of the Trump administration’s tariffs.

Key context: The Supreme Court ruled that President Donald Trump exceeded his authority by imposing tariffs using the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA). None of the justices specified how refunds should be managed, although the Trump administration has previously acknowledged it may have to give back tariff revenue following the court’s ruling.

The ruling left some of Trump’s tariffs in place, including steel and aluminum tariffs imposed following Section 232 investigations, which determine the effect of imports on national security.

Yesterday, Trump said he would impose the maximum allowed 15% tariffs using Section 122, a temporary duty that can remain in effect for 150 days before requiring congressional approval.

More from the treasury secretary: Bessent reaffirmed today that the administration intends to launch Section 232 investigations and the US Trade Representative will use Section 301 (“Relief from Unfair Trade Practices”) to investigate countries that potentially violate other nations’ trade agreements or practices in a way that is “unjustifiable” and “burdens or restricts” US business.

Bessent added that the Trump administration has been in contact with US trading partners, who “want to keep the trade deals that have been set.”

Armed man shot and killed after entering perimeter around Trump's Florida home

Mar-a-Lago estate is seen in Palm Beach, Florida, in September 2022.

US Secret Service agents and Palm Beach County law enforcement shot and killed an armed man after he “unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago” Sunday morning, the Secret Service said.

The president and first lady were at the White House in Washington, DC, at the time of the incident.

A man in his early 20’s entered the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago around 1:30 a.m. before he was shot by agents and a deputy with the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, the Secret Service said in a statement.

The man’s name is being withheld until his family is notified of his death. His background and motive are under investigation by the FBI and other authorities, the Secret Service said.

No law enforcement agents were harmed in the incident, the statement said.

The Secret Service agents involved will be placed on administrative leave during the investigation “in accordance with agency policy,” the statement said.

Newsom denounces Trump’s tariff policy: "He's flailing"

California Governor Gavin Newsom speaks during the Munich Security Conference in Germany, on February 13.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said President Donald Trump is “flailing” after the Supreme Court struck down his sweeping emergency tariffs on Friday, with the president rapidly imposing a new 10% global tariff that he then upped to 15% the following day.

“The whole thing is a farce,” the Democrat told CNN’s Dana Bash in an interview that aired Sunday. “I talk about petulance. It was 10% two days ago, maybe 20% tomorrow. I mean this is madness. He’s flailing. He’s a punch-drunk boxer. He’s just trying to hit anything, a shadow, and he’s a shadow of himself. He’s lost a step or two.”

Newsom, an outspoken Trump critic who is widely seen as 2028 presidential contender, dodged questions about a potential bid, ahead of the release of his forthcoming memoir, “Young Man in a Hurry.”

Asked what would happen if Newsom’s political career intersects with his longtime California colleague and Trump’s 2024 Democratic rival, former Vice President Kamala Harris, in 2028, Newsom said, “Fate will determine that.”

“I’ve never gotten in the way of her ambition ever. I haven’t, and I don’t imagine I would in the future,” Newsom said, adding, “that’s fate.”

Here's a look at Trump's schedule this weekend

President Donald Trump attends the National Governors Association dinner at the White House, on Saturday.

President Donald Trump is spending this weekend in Washington, DC, according to his White House schedule.

He is starting Sunday with executive time at the White House.

The president and first lady yesterday took part in a Governors Dinner in the East Room. Trump praised state leaders following a back-and-forth over who should be invited to the traditionally bipartisan affair.

“You’re just about all very popular. I know every one of you, and you’ve all had a pretty easy time becoming governor. That’s because you’ve done really great work,” he added.

It was unclear how many Democratic governors were in attendance for the dinner.

For context: Trump and Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, chair of the National Governors Association, were at odds over whether Republican and Democratic governors should be invited to the White House. Trump’s administration initially invited only Republicans, leading Stitt to tell governors that the NGA wouldn’t play facilitate the Friday morning event.

Businesses react to Supreme Court ruling on Trump's tariffs

CNN’s Gloria Pazmino spoke with New York City business owners about how the Supreme Court ruling on President Donald Trump’s emergency tariffs could impact their prices:

117297_ToyTarrifs_thumb_clean.jpg
Businesses react to Supreme Court’s ruling on Trump’s tariffs

CNN’s Gloria Pazmino speaks with New York City business owners about how the Supreme Court’s ruling on Trump’s tariffs could impact their prices.

01:19 • Source: CNN
01:19

DHS suspends widely used trusted-traveler programs as shutdown continues

Travelers walk past a TSA PreCheck entry at the Miami International Airport in 2024.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is temporarily halting two of the most widely used trusted-traveler programs in the United States, TSA PreCheck and Global Entry, amid the ongoing partial government shutdown.

The move marks a significant escalation in how the DHS shutdown is impacting travelers, effectively dismantling expedited airport security lanes and fast‑track customs processing relied on by millions of frequent flyers who are US citizens or legal permanent residents as well as international passengers from more than 20 countries.

In a statement to CNN, DHS Secretary Kristi Noem said the Transportation Security Administration and Customs and Border Patrol “are focusing on the general traveling public at our airports and ports of entry and have suspended courtesy and special privilege escorts.”

Democrats on the House Homeland Security Committee condemned the move, accusing DHS’ leadership of “punishing travelers” and “ruining your travel on purpose.”

The DHS has not responded so far to further requests for details on when these changes are taking effect. A spokesperson for the department told The Washington Post that the suspension of both TSA PreCheck and Global Entry was set to start Sunday at 6 a.m. ET due to the shutdown of much of the agency.

Read more about the impact to PreCheck and Global Entry here.

Trump says he's sending a "great hospital boat" to Greenland

The sun sets on Nuuk, Greenland, on January 21.

President Donald Trump said he is sending a hospital boat to Greenland to provide medical care for those in need.

“Working with the fantastic Governor of Louisiana, Jeff Landry, we are going to send a great hospital boat to Greenland to take care of the many people who are sick, and not being taken care of there. It’s on the way!!!” the president posted on social media yesterday alongside an illustration of the naval hospital ship the USNS Mercy.

Trump appointed Landry to serve as special envoy to Greenland in December. Landry thanked the president in a post on X, adding he is “proud to work” together with Trump on “this important issue.”

It is unclear what exactly Trump was referring to. CNN has reached out to the White House, Pentagon, Danish Embassy, NORTHCOM, US Navy and Landry’s office for more details.

Trump said last month that he “formed the framework of a future deal” on Greenland with the NATO chief, backing down on his harsh rhetoric over acquiring the semiautonomous Danish territory. The president, who has long sought control of the Arctic island, had ramped up his demands before the announcement, straining the US’ relationship with Europe.

A look at this week's developments between the US and Iran

President Donald Trump is curious as to why Iran hasn’t “capitulated” amid a vast US military build-up aimed at pressuring Tehran into a deal over its nuclear ambitions, US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff said in an interview aired yesterday.

His comments are the latest on a potential deal between the US and Iran after the countries held fresh talks earlier this week, though they ended without reaching a clear resolution. Take a look at this week’s developments below:

Tuesday, February 17

Indirect talks between Washington and Tehran took place in Geneva, Switzerland. Iran demanded “the complete lifting” of sanctions as well as the establishment of trust regarding Tehran’s “peaceful nuclear program,” state-affiliated news agency Tasnim reported.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the talks as “positive,” adding that the countries agreed on “guiding principles” but more work needed to be done. He also warned that an agreement will not be reached “quickly.”

One US official told CNN “progress was made, but there are still a lot of details to discuss.” The Iranian side “said they would come back in the next two weeks with detailed proposals to address some of the open gaps in our positions,” the official added.

Wednesday, February 18

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt declined to say whether Trump would hold off on military action against Iran while waiting for its proposals.

The same day, sources familiar with the matter told CNN that the US military was prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend

Thursday, February 19

Trump suggested that a decision on whether the US would strike Iran would come in “10-15 days.”

Earlier in the day, he had said, “now is the time for Iran to join us on a path that will complete what we’re doing. And if they join us, that will be great. If they don’t join us, that will be great too, but it will be a very different path.”

Friday, February 20

Trump said he was “considering” a limited strike on Iran to pressure the country into a deal. Meanwhile, the USS Gerald R. Ford carrier strike group entered the Mediterranean Sea to join a significant number of other US military assets in the Middle East.

The same day, top Democrats sitting on the House Foreign Affairs, Intel and Armed Services committees urged the Trump administration not to conduct military action in Iran without congressional approval.

Sunday, February 22

A senior Iranian official told Reuters that Iran and the US have differing views over sanctions relief. New talks have been planned for early March, the official said.

CNN’s Billy Stockwell, Nadeen Ebrahim, Mostafa Salem, Kylie Atwood, Jennifer Hansler, Zachary Cohen, Kevin Liptak, Kristen Holmes, Aileen Graef, Kit Maher, Brad Lendon, Haley Britzky, Farida Elsebai and Aleena Fayaz contributed to this reporting.

Download the CNN app

Scan the QR code to download the CNN app on Google Play.

Scan the QR code to download the CNN app from Google Play.

Download the CNN app

Scan the QR code to download the CNN app from the Apple Store.

Scan the QR code to download the CNN app from the Apple Store.